There is so much to do when moving home, we thought we would help out with a move planner.
6 Weeks to the big day: Make it official and let everybody know
- Notify the post office of your change of address, use the form found on the link below:
- Change your address with your bank, insurance providers, credit cards and magazine subscriptions.
- Update your address with you doctors, dentists, solicitor and other professional services.
5 Weeks until move time: Donate, sell or giveaway
- Go through your home and decide what you no longer need, this will make it easier for our surveyor to put a quote together for you.
- The best way to get rid of your items is to sell them, donate them to charity of give to a friend.
- Take a look at our ai???Items that cannot be movedai??i?? page and plan arrangements for any of the items you may have on our list.
4 weeks out:Ai?? Get your move quote
- Get a JamVans surveyor around to give you a free, no obligation removal quote, if you are selling your property, it does not matter whether you have exchanged or not.
- Show our surveyor everything that is going to be moved, we will also be able to look at the access to your property as well as any parking restrictions
- Discuss your packing needs, do you want us to pack for you, or are you going to go it alone. Do not forget, the boxes and packaging materials are included.
- Make sure you tell your surveyor of any other specific requirements you have for your move.
3 weeks and counting:Ai?? Prepare for your move
- Let all family and friends know that you are moving.
- Book any overnight stays if you move requires it, the further away from the date you book, the cheaper the deals normally are.
- Arrange for any disconnections you may require, for example, wired in cookers or light fittings.
- Cancel any local memberships (eg gym memberships) if you are moving out of the area, many places may require notice.
2 weeks to go:Ai?? Make sure everything is ready to go
- If you are packing yourselves, now is a good time to start getting packed up, take a look at our ai???packing guidesai??i?? (hyperlinked) for tips and advice.
- Even if we are doing the packing for you, you may want to get a head start and pack some of your more personal belongings yourself.
1 week to go:Ai?? Making the final arrangements
- Feel free to give us a call if you have any queries regarding your removal.
- Make sure you have a plan for your pets on the day of your move, many movers leave pets with a friend on the day of the move.
- Have you got rid of anything that does not need moving?
The day before:
- If JamVans are doing the packing for you, it is likely we will be booked to come the day before or on one of the days leading up to your move. Point out any items that require special attention to the packers.
- Keep your essential items and last minute bits to one side, make sure the packers are aware that these are not to be packed.
- If you are packing yourself, everything needs to be ready to go prior to your move day. If you need any last minute packing materials give us a call.
The big day: The final checks
- It is best to be around whilst your property is being loaded onto the vehicles. Your move team will walk around your home with you to familiarise themselves with your move.Ai?? Point out any special requirements at this stage.
- Get together all your last minute bits and keep them in a safe place.
- Your move team leader will walk around your property before they leave to ensure that they have loaded everything onto the removal vehicle, you will need to sign to confirm this.
- Before your move team drive to your new home, the team leader will check to ensure that we have the correct address and contact details for you and that you have a way of contacting your move team.
- You may be required to take an electricity metre reading before you go.
- Make sure that you turn off the lights, disconnect any utilities and surrender all house keys.
- Your property will be delivered to the rooms of your choice, make your move team aware of any changes to the condition of your belongings. You will be required to sign for your property once everything is unloaded to determine that you are happy with everything.
A week or so after your move:
- If you have moved locally, once you have unpacked, give us a call and arrange a box collection.
- Check in with the post office and make sure that your mail is being re-directed.
- Arrange for your phone, TV and broadband providers to set everything up at your new home.
- Most importantly, arrange a moving in party for friends and family and get to know your neighbours.